Work with Us
U-turn is a fast growing Christian non-profit that is well-established and respected. We have been in service to the homeless of Cape Town for more than 20 years, and currently employ more than 20 staff members and provide services to over a 1,000 homeless people a year.
We have attracted a team of dynamic individuals who are willing to go beyond the status quo and create a sustainable pathway out of homelessness. We look forward to hearing from and working with you!
If you would like to work with U-turn but do not see the suitable role listed below, please feel free to reach out to us with a proposal by email
Service Centre Manager (Powerhouse)
Service Centre Manager (Powerhouse) works in the U-turn 1st phase team. This team is tasked with providing services to street people that have not yet entered into our rehabilitation programme. Services are provided on a drop-in basis and include food and clothing as well as Occupational Therapy based interventions to help individuals reconsider options available to them. The ultimate aim of 1st phase services are to prepare individuals to participate in our 2nd phase work-based rehabilitation programme.
A vacancy has arisen for a resilient, personable individual who wants to show love and care for society’s most vulnerable members. This is a paid, full time position.
The key responsibilities include:
- Oversee the day to day operations of the Service Centre – known as the Powerhouse. This includes managing the budget, maintaining and where necessary improving infrastructure (building & vehicle maintenance) so that services can be delivered.
- Ensure that daily services are delivered safely and efficiently at the Service Centre (i.e. Voucher earnings, Voucher shop, Food services, Group sessions and Referrals), and engage with any clients who break U-turn rules such as acting aggressively.
- Manage staff at the Powerhouse, as well as the Life Change team based at the centre. The latter will require close contact with U-turn’s second phase.
- See drop-in’s and refer to relevant people within U-turn, also see individuals and family by appointment and explain U-turn’s services to the individual and family.
- Conduct initial screenings of clients attending the service centre and do internal referrals to the member of the Rehab team.
- Present the Bible in a way that encourages change during the evening food service.
- Organise and conduct food pickups where necessary and liaise with donors.
- Manage voucher systems regarding earning, redemption at the Service Centre (including feedback to donors) and feedback to Voucher Coordinator.
- Build and improve the understanding of U-turn’s 1st phase work amongst partners & community (e.g. field workers forum, Claremont CID field workers etc.)
For more information download the full job description here
To apply, submit a letter of motivation and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not heard from U-turn within 14 calendar days from submitting your application, this means that your application has been unsuccessful.